Jeff Gannon Blog

Thursday, February 10, 2005

President Participates in Social Security Conversation in Pennsylvania

THE PRESIDENT: All right. Sukha Brooks.

Q Hi, good evening, Mr. President.

THE PRESIDENT: Sukha, where do you live?

MS. BROOKS: I live in Morton, Pennsylvania.

THE PRESIDENT: Morton, Pennsylvania.

MS. BROOKS: Morton, Pennsylvania.

THE PRESIDENT: And?

MS. BROOKS: I'm currently going through a divorce, and I have three children. Social Security is very important to me. I'm 37 years old. I have an 18-year-old that's started Delaware County Community College, and she's majoring in education. She's -- her aspirations are to become a teacher.

THE PRESIDENT: Good, that's good -- noble.

MS. BROOKS: Two more children, and Social Security is very important being a single mother. We anticipated a lot more investing on my husband's side. I work for a small business, so we did a lot of the investing through his company. And now at the age of 37, I was happy that -- when you talked about this revamping Social Security, particularly on the aspect of personal accounts, because I need to make up some lost time. And I think what you're proposing is giving someone that's in my situation an opportunity to be able to take a personal account into my retirement and to look forward to something -- particularly a higher return in what you're proposing.

THE PRESIDENT: Yes. You know something amazing, I was just thinking, listening to Sukha -- when I was her age, there wasn't a lot of talk about, one, whether Social Security was going to go down the tubes. Fellow baby boomers here, back me up, will you? There wasn't much doubt in our mind, right? It wasn't a conversation. Nor was there a lot of talk about 401(k)s, IRAs, personal accounts. The world of ours has changed. Here's Sukha saying, giving me a chance to invest my own money. There has been a shift of attitude amongst Americans -- all walks of life -- all walks of life.

6 Comments:

  • Since no one else is interested in replying to this thread...or, to even humble me recently:

    "Ward Churchill...another Face of Liberalism"
    http://karmicommunist.blogspot.com/2005/02/ward-churchillanother-face-of.html

    "KC"

    By Blogger KarmiCommunist, at 9:29 PM  

  • What a great American! 3 jobs and she still has time for our president.

    By Blogger Tomato, at 11:22 PM  

  • Uniquely American.

    By Blogger J. Gannon, at 7:43 AM  

  • I think Ms. Brooks.. is also Jeff Gannon.

    Bush's ball sucker.

    By Anonymous Sara, at 2:34 PM  

  • It isn't that people weren't concerned about Social Security...it was just the cocaine impairing your hearing.

    The truth is that there was a bipartisan (that means both major parties working together) effort coordinated by Reagan and Tip O'Neil to work on Social Security.

    dumbass

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:22 PM  

  • I love the Owned-ership Society.

    By Anonymous Marc Lawrence, at 5:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home